Smarter Travel Study
Q: What is the Smarter Travel Study?
A: The Smarter Travel Study is a City of Dubuque project funded through a grant from the Iowa Department of Transportation that will use smartphone technology to collect data on how, when, and where study participants travel within the community. The aggregate data collected will be analyzed and the findings will be used by the City of Dubuque, and its partners: Dubuque Metropolitan Area Transportation Study (DMATS), Iowa Department of Transportation, and IBM Research to implement practices and policies that will provide lower-cost and lower-impact travel options within Dubuque. The goal of the research is to identify options for Dubuque commuters to save money, conserve resources, and improve the environment through better travel choices.
This project involves individuals who live in Dubuque County, Grant County, or Jo Daviess County, travel in the City of Dubuque on a daily basis, have an Android Phone or iPhone, and would like to be a part of an important research project that provides necessary information that will guide the future of Dubuque travel.
Q: What are the basic rules of participation?
• Take Demographic Survey
• You must download the Insights in Motion app and keep it running on your phone for 7 days
• Three of the 7 days must be recorded on the provided travel diary Monday through Friday
• After the 7 days, once participant has FULLY COMPLETED and returned the travel diary and the diary matches app data, the participant will be instructed on where to pick up compensation
•Please check your email regularly
Q: What are the ways I can be compensated? (New addition)
A: You may receive compensation in the following ways:
- You may receive compensation at a recruitment event ($10 Hy-Vee gift card, bus pass, or other), for taking the demographic survey and downloading and installing the Insights in Motion app and keep it on for 7 days. If you complete all the requirements of the study: app ran for 7 days, completed and returned travel diary, app data matches diary entries, you may receive a $40 Hy-Vee gift card.
- $50 Hy-Vee gift card is an option for people that complete all the study requirements without attending a recruitment event, which includes: taking the demographic survey and downloading and installing the Insights in Motion app, app ran for 7 days, completed and returned travel diary, and app data matches diary entries.
Q: What is the Demographic Survey?
A: The demographic survey is required so that we have data that we can use later for study purposes and identifying each individual participant.
Q: Do I need to complete all the fields in the survey?
Q: How many times can I take the survey?
Q: Can I still take the survey if I don't have a smart phone?
Q: I really want to participate but I don't have a smart phone, is that a problem?
A: If a person fits one of our demographics, we will make accommodations for that individual to participate if he/she does not have a smart phone.
Insights in Motion App
Q: What are the minimum requirements to download the Insights in Motion app for iPhone and Android?
• You must be over the age of 18 to participate.
• Your smart phone must be two years old or newer.
• WiFi and GPS settings on your smart phone must be enabled and on at all times.
• Accept the terms of the release within the app.
Q: How do you download the app for the Smarter Travel Study to your Android?
A: Location must be turned on in the settings of your phone; Under Location>Mode, select High Accuracy; Under Connections, Wi-Fi must be On; Power saving mode must be off and any power saving apps must be off. NOTE: The app will not work on Android version 4.2 or below. It will work on 4.3 or above. To see the version of your operating system go to Settings>About Device on your phone. Or open a web browser on your phone and go to http://whatismyandroidversion.com/ which will tell you what Android version you are running.
• Go to the (Android) Play Store
• Select the magnifying glass icon
• Click in the "Search Google Play" browser
• Type in "Insights in Motion"
• Select "Insights in Motion" (look for the blue person walking icon)
• Select "INSTALL"
• Select "ACCEPT" for access requirements
• Select "OPEN"
• Enter Phone Number and submit
• Read and Accept Agreement
• Read Rules of Participation under Info
• Turn on Location Tracking, GPS, Mobile and Wi-Fi under Settings
Q: How do you download the app for the Smarter Travel Study to your iPhone?
A: Location Services must be on; Insights in Motion must be set to 'Always' in Location services; Background App Refresh must be on; Periodically, you may notice the following popup message: "Insights in Motion has been using your location in the background. Do you want to continue allowing this?" Select 'Continue' in order for the app to accurately work. NOTE: The app will not work on IOS 7.0 or below. It will work on 7.1 and above. To see what you have for an operating system go to Settings>General Software Update on your phone. Or open a (Safari) web browser on your phone and go to http://whatismyiosversion.com/ which will tell you what ios version you are running.
- • Go to the App Store
• Select the Magnifying Glass
• Search for "Insights in Motion"
• Select "Get"
• Select "Install"
• Sign into the iTunes Store
• Select "OK"
• Select "OK" to Download Now
• Enter your phone number
• Select "Done"
• Select "Yes" if this is your correct Smartphone number
• Select "Accept" for Release information
• Select "OK" for App to use current location
Q: Can I have a friend download the app?
A: You can participate in the refer a friend program located on the back of your travel diary. Your friend must first fill out the demographic survey and receive a travel diary before participating.
Q: How does the Refer-A-Friend program work?
A: If you participated and completed all the requirements of the Smarter Travel Study in the current recruitment period, you may refer a friend to participate. When your friend completes all the requirements of the study and fills in your name and email address in his/her completed and submitted diary, you may earn an additional $10 Hy-Vee gift card. Any referred people must be new to the Smarter Travel Study (they did not participate before). Limited to no more than five (5) referrals. All referred people must be new to the Smarter Travel Study (they have never participated in a prior recruitment period.)
Q: This app seems to be draining my battery; what should I do?
While participating in this study, you may experience smartphone applications running slower than usual and/or shorter battery life. Here are some tips to decrease battery usage:
• Be sure that your Wi-Fi Connection is turned On
• Assess existing app and phone usage
• Charge phone frequently
• WiFi and Location must be 'On', ALL THE TIME. (NOTE for Android, Location > Mode, select 'High Accuracy')
• Android: Power saving mode must be 'Off' & any power saving apps must be 'Off.'
• iOS: Background App Refresh must be 'On.'
• The app may run smoother if your phone has the most up to date version
of iOS or Android.
• Your phone's battery may not take such a big hit if you turn the Background App Refresh off on your other apps
Remember, this app is tracking your travel patterns and needs to be on at all times and the more you travel, the more battery will be used.
If after you have tried all of the above, you are still experiencing difficulties, contact the help desk at 563-690-5751 or email email@example.com.
Q: What should I do if I cannot get the app to download?
A: Ensure you have checked all required boxes throughout the downloading process in order for the Smarter Travel app to download properly. Check your iPhone operating system and your Android version. The app will not work on IOS 7.0 or below or on Android 4.2 or below.
Q: How much data does the Smarter Travel App use?
A: The data usage is minimal. In pretesting, the average app usage was less than 500KB or 0.5MB over a 30 day period. You can check your data usage by going to Settings and Connections on your phone.
Q: How much battery does the Smarter Travel App use?
A: This depends on battery usage by the other apps on your phone and how much traveling you do in a day. The more you are traveling with your phone, the more GPS data points are transmitted, the more the battery life is used.
Q: I have an iPhone and am getting the message: "Insights in Motion" has been using your location in the background. Do you want to continue allowing this? Location services has to be set to 'Always' for Insights in Motion (Dubuque Smarter Travel) App to work. What should I do?
A: Select Continue. This message may appear multiple times
Q: (iPhone) Is it OK to swipe away apps (up or down) after double clicking the home button?
A: Yes, but do not swipe away the Insights in Motion app from your list of running apps. This app must run in the background at all times in order to transmit data.
Q: (iPhone) What happens if I accidently swipe the app away?
A: The app will stop running and will need to be restarted. Touch the icon to restart it as soon as possible so it can resume transmitting data.
Q: (iPhone) How do I update the Insights in Motion app if you have notified me that there is an update available?
1) Load the App Store app by clicking the home button and clicking on the App Store.
2) When the App Store app opens, click on the 'Updates' button in the lower right corner of the app. DO NOT SEARCH FOR THE APP IN THE APP STORE SINCE THIS WILL LOAD A NEW COPY OF THE PROGRAM AND GIVE YOU A NEW USERID.
3) After clicking on the 'Updates' button you will be presented with a list of the entire program on your iPhone that have an available update. Choose the 'Insights in Motion' and install the update.
4) Check that you now have the new version by clicking on the 'about' button on the top line of the "Insights in Motion" app. To get to the "Insights in Motion" app double click the home button, scroll through your running programs, and choose the "Insights in Motion" app by clicking on it.
Q: (Android) How do I update the Insights in Motion app if you have notified me that there is an update available?
1) Open the Google Play Store app.
2) Touch the Menu icon > My Apps. Apps with available updates are labeled "Update."
3) Select the "Insights in Motion" app.
4) Touch Menu and check the box next to "Auto-update."
• When the Auto-update box is selected, the app will update automatically when updates are available.
• To turn off automatic updates and manually approve updates, uncheck the box next to "Auto-update."
Q: What is a travel diary and what does it consist of?
A: The travel diary is the tool used to validate your trips against the smart phone app. There is a main section that asks for your name, cell phone number and email address, a section that illustrates a sample trip, and then 10 sections are available, if needed, for you to record your trips a day. (If you know you are going to be making 10 or more trips in a day, consider keeping the diary on a less busy day.) Further instructions are contained in the diary.
Q: Is there an electronic version of the travel diary and how do I use it?
A: Yes, it is a fillable adobe PDF form.
We use Adobe Acrobat PDF files as a means to electronically provide forms & publications. You will need to have the Adobe Reader software installed to access them (available FREE from the Adobe Reader download page on Adobe's Web site).
When saving or printing a file, be sure to use the functionality of Adobe Reader rather than your web browser and save the document to your desktop before making any changes.
If you have problems with a file, such as PDF pages that don't appear in the browser window, please review the troubleshooting information in Adobe's support knowledgebase.
Smarter Travel fill-in PDF forms use some of the features provided with Adobe Acrobat software, such as the ability to save the data you input (document rights). Currently, there is no computation, validation or verification of the information you enter but you are still responsible for entering all required information.
Q: Why do I have to fill out the travel diary if I have the app on my phone?
A: The travel diary is a requirement of the Smarter Travel Study in order to validate the data against the smart phone app.
Q: How many days do I have to record trips in the diary?
A: You must fill out the diary for 3 of the 7 days. The days must be in a row and during weekdays.
Q: What if I don't know the exact street address of one of my trip destinations?
A: That's OK. if it is a public place and not somebody's home. If it is the home of someone, we will need the complete address as we have no way of acquiring their complete address information. As long as it is a place with public information, such as Walmart, the mall, etc. we can figure out the address information ourselves. Although a complete street address is preferred, if you only have the street name and name of the location, we can figure it out.
Q: What do I do when I have completed three days of trips in the travel diary?
A: First, double check that you completed all the required fields in the travel diary; including the demographic section, contact information and that your trip sections are complete. Contact the help desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us that you completed the travel diary and the app was on your phone for 7 days. Drop off the diary at: ECIA, 7600 Commerce Park or at any Hy-Vee Dubuque location (Please send us an email detailing which Hy-Vee location you dropped your diary off at if you choose to drop it off at Hy-Vee). We will then tell you where and when to pick up your compensation. If you completed the diary electronically, email the diary to email@example.com.
Thank you for your time and assistance with this very important research!