- ADT: Average Daily Traffic
- Number of vehicles Per day.
- COG: Council of Governments
- Affiliation of Local governments.
- DMATS: Dubuque Metro Area Transportation Study
- The Dubuque Metropolitan Area is a tri-state Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) located at the boundary intersections of the states of Iowa, Illinois, and Wisconsin. DMATS receives federal funds to develop regional transportation plans and programs and to coordinate technical and policy studies on a wide range of transportation issues.
- GIS : Geographic Information Systems
- Computerized mapping and Planning Tool.
- ITS: Intelligent Transportation Systems
- Using technology to improve the efficiency of highway operations. A regional ITS architecture plan describes the “big picture” for regional ITS deployment in terms of individual components that will perform the functions necessary to deliver the desired needs.
- LRTP: Long-Range Transportation Plan
- A long-range transportation plan is a plan focusing on transportation related issues in a specific area over a 20-year period.
- MAP-21: Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century
- Federal surface transportation law signed 7/7/2012.
- MPO: Metropolitan Planning Organization
- A Metropolitan Planning Organization is a transportation policy-making body made up of representatives from local government and transportation agencies with authority and responsibility in urban areas with more than 50,000 population.
- PIP: Public Involvement Plan
- The Public Involvement Plan identifies strategies and tools to help ensure effective public participation in the transportation planning activities. DMATS and RPA 8 each have a PIP.
- PTP: Passenger Transportation Plan
- The Passenger Transportation Plan is a document that outlines existing transportation service, identifies gaps in service, and proposes projects to fill those gaps. The PTP is updated every five years.
- RPA: Regional Planning Affiliation
- RPAs conduct transportation planning for the non-metropolitan areas of Iowa and cover all 99 counties. RPA 8 is designated as a four-county region excluding the Dubuque Metropolitan Transportation Study (DMATS). The four counties are Clinton, Delaware, Dubuque, and Jackson.
- RISE: Revitalize Iowa’s Sound Economy
- City and county program using dedicated fuel tax to finance road projects intended to support economic development.
- STP: Surface Transportation Program
- A federal program that was established to aid public road jurisdictions with funding for roads on federal aid routes or bridges on any public road, to provide funding for transit capital improvements, and to provide funding for transportation planning activities.
- SRTS: Safe Routes to School
- Safe Routes to School is a international effort to increase safety and promote walking and bicycling to school through engineering, education, enforcement, encouragement, and evaluation.
- TIP: Transportation Improvement Program
- A Transportation Improvement Program is the RPA/MPO 4-year financial implementation program listing all highway and transit projects showing project schedule, cost, and funding source.
- TPWP: Transportation Planning Work Program
- The Transportation Planning Work Program outlines various transportation planning activates to be conducted by the East Central Intergovernmental Association as staff of RPA 8 and DMATS during the fiscal year. RPA 8 and DMATS each have a TPWP document.
- TAP: Transportation Alternatives Program
- The TAP provides funding for programs and projects defined as transportation alternatives, including on- and off-road pedestrian and bicycle facilities, infrastructure projects for improving non-driver access to public transportation and enhanced mobility, community improvement activities, and environmental mitigation; recreational trail program projects; safe routes to school projects; and projects for planning, designing, or constructing boulevards and other roadways largely in the right-of-way of former Interstate System routes or other divided highways. TAP replaced funding from pre-MAP-21 programs including the Transportation Enhancement Program, the Safe Routes to School Program, and the National Scenic Byways Program.
- VMT: Vehicle Miles Traveled
- Number of Miles traveled over a given roadway.
- VHT: Vehicle Hours Traveled
- Number of hours traveled on a given roadway
FAA: Federal Aviation Administration
FEMA: Federal Emergency Management Agency
FHWA: Federal Highway Administration (Part of U.S. DOT)
FRA: Federal Railroad Administration (Part of U.S. DOT)
FTA: Federal Transit Adminstration (Part of US DOT)
RFP: Request for Proposal